FOOD IS MEDICINE: The Scientific Evidence: VOL I
The Scientific Evidence
Tens of thousands of scientific studies have been performed worldwide affirming the fundamental role that unprocessed, unheated plant-based food plays in the process of disease recovery and prevention. Food IS Medicine is a three-volume series presenting noteworthy and provocative data from studies clearly demonstrating that the most important ingested medicine comes from the food we consume. The key finding of each study is summarized in accessible language for both the layperson or consummate culinary or nutrition professional.
The studies are then presented chronologically, so the reader can grasp the evolution of findings and theories about the health impacts of various nutrients and foods.
Volume One comprises five chapters covering the following topics:
- phytochemicals in food and their health-creating properties,
- the importance of nutrient synergies to human health,
- the nutrient superiority of organic fruits and vegetables compared to non-organic produce,
- the health benefits of calorie-restrictive diets and fasting, and
- the nutrient retention and health benefits of raw foods compared to cooked or processed food.